Sunday, May 3, 2009

TWIR (This Week in Running) 4.27.09 to 5.3.09

The start of the week was auspicious enough, but it didn't end that way. I ignored the midweek warning signs and by Saturday a rock implanted itself in my left calf. It's Sunday night now and the calf is still tight. I'm going to get it checked out on Tuesday morning. I have a sour and dour feeling that this upcoming week could be "this week in cross training." Truth be told, I'm disappointed. My body should be able to handle this type of running w/out blinking an eye. I consider a nagging muscle ache like this to be unacceptable. How am I going to get into good shape when my body has a proclivity for breaking down? This is where "grit" comes into play. Gritty athletes bear down when things get tough. For me, things are toughest when I'm on the shelf. I'm hoping that the calf just needs a few days of rest.

As for the numbers, I was hoping to hit 50+. The 15 planned for Saturday turned out to be 11 1/2 and Sunday didn't happen for reasons noted above.

Essential Numbers
39 miles in 4 runs.


Sunday 5.3.09
Was originally planning to run, but the calf prevented it from happening. Was then planning on cycling, but the loooong car ride from PA exhausted me. Was then planning on doing some core work, but it just didn't happen. I think it's Edmund Spenser who wrote the famous poem "Count That Day Lost."

No comments:

Post a Comment