Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Snake on a Stump

As I was running on Monday, I looked over to my left and saw a little garter snake sunning itself on an old tree stump. You know the weather has turned when you see all kinds of animals on your run. Funny thing was I was thinking about Mowgli and how I want to read The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling, who by the way penned the famous poem "If." I just finished reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, a massive tome of a novel, and it makes many allusions to TJB.

Monday's run was great. Maybe it was seeing the snake that made me run at a hard effort. Details below.

Tuesday 6.9.08
AM: core work
PM: pool workout: drills and 1700 yards swimming (noncontinuous)
The drills came between sets of 300-400-400-400-200. For drills I alternated between kickboard and leg buoy. Finished with the foam roller and stretching.

Monday 6.8.09
AM: core work
PM: 10.5 miles in 69:57
This was at least 10.5, but hard to tell as most of it was on the trails of Adams Farm. Felt good prerun and had the feeling since lunchtime that my body was ready to kick it up a notch. The beginnings of my runs have been quite slow, but today was faster. I could feel it in my left calf a little bit, but the tightness dissipated after ten or fifteen minutes. Pace probably made its way to low 6:00s with the second half being faster than the first. Stretch, stick, ice to finish the workout. Ice/heat/ice/heat on calf at knot spot and insertion point behind knee before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment