Sunday, July 12, 2009

This Week in Running: 7.6.09 to 7.12.09

Week ended w/ 3 good ones. I feel like the training is coming along nicely and I actually stepped on the track today and did the workout faster than I anticipated. Almost feel like I did double sessions Thursday through Sunday as every afternoon was marked by loads of yard work. My back is a little sore from it and I'm exhausted right now. The yard, however, is looking better.
Here's how the week ended:

Friday 7.10.09
AM: core work and 18 miles in 2:11.22
Travelled over to Blue Hills so I could get this run in on the soft surfaces. I explored some new paths and ended up in Braintree (all on trail). The run went really well. I found a water fountain at about 97:00 and that helped. A few minutes later, I had to stop and remove a perturbing pebble from my shoe. Hit the wall somewhat at that point and was looking to get back to the car where I had more water and some energy chews stored. Made it to the car in 1:45 and took the water and gummies. Did a small loop and headed out for twenty more minutes. The power bar gel chews gave me the burst of energy I needed to get through the last 20:00-25:00. I'm glad I hid them under my car. Overall, first half was solid and the second half I had to manage not boinking. I had in my mind the whole way that there was no way I wasn't doing 18.

Saturday 7.11.09
AM: 7.25 miles in 52:53
A 10:00 appt w/ the dentist had me on the road pre 0700. Once I woke up, the run was smooth and relaxing, just as an easy recovery day is intended. Did the usual Adams Farm route. Was checking in on my body during the run, and everything seemed fine after yesterday's long run. Thought I'd see some deer, but I didn't. It's a good feeling to be done with your run before eight o'clock in the morning. Went to the dentist (no cavities), took a deep breath, and then hit the yard for five solid hours. Thanks to my old man and Monz for the help.

Sunday 7.12.09
AM: 11.5 miles in 84:45
Had been looking forward to this workout for most of the week. Haven't done a track workout in quite some time (esp. w/ the tracks being covered w/ snow for most of the winter). Was interested to see where my fitness is even though I got some sense of it from last Monday's pickups. My plan for the track was 6 x 1200m w/ ~2:00 recovery. I wanted to do them between 5:20 and 5:30 pace. Here's how it played out:

warmup: 30:32
rep #1 - 4:03
rep #2 - 3:58
rep #3 - 3:56
rep #4 - 3:56
rep #5 - 3:55
rep #6 - 3:57
cooldown: 22:34
recovery for all the reps was ~85 sec jog and ~25 sec walk to line

I felt strong and in control. I exceeded my planned pace. Was happy with the middle splits as I was focused on running. Thinking about form and economy. Thinking I need to do this to get in good shape. Last one hurt the most. Wasn't totally dead on the cooldown, so that's a good sign. Legs felt mostly healthy for most of the track work. Calves a bit sore on the cooldown. Am watching the hamstrings too. Finished up w/ stretching, sticking, icing. Should do some extra stick work and icing tonight.

Numbers for the week:
3 core workouts
41 miles on the bike
1 lifting sequence
62 1/4 miles in 6 runs

I hope to build off this week and springboard into next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment