Saturday, September 12, 2009

Slump

This hasn't been an easy last few days. I'm back at work full-time now, and I'm still adjusting to afternoon as opposed to morning running. Most of my recent runs have been slower and shorter than I would've hoped. Here's to bouncing back soon.

Tuesday 9.8.09
AM: core
PM: 11.5 miles in 88:13
This run didn't start until 6:15 in the evening due to an eye doctor's appointment. I wasn't planning on the doctor putting drops in my eyes that blurred my vision when I ran. Just walking, I was fine but when running I had to blink a lot and constantly refocus. Put on top of that a quickly darkening sky and the uneven surface of a trail and you have a pretty slow run. That's fine b/c I simply wanted to get some miles in today and loosen up after yesterday's race.

Wednesday 9.9.09
AM: core
PM: outdoor bike ~14.3 miles and 2.5 miles on treadmill
Did a couple on the t'mill b/c I felt my left calf needed the opportunity to loosen up.

Thursday 9.10.09
Happy Birthday J!
AM: core
PM: 9.5 miles in 70:12
Shorter and slower than I wanted. Left calf still sore, a little too sore. Wanted to do some tempo work, something like 4 x 10 min hard, but I just didn't have it today. The calf was touching and the tank was empty. I did some change of pace work at Bird Park, but I was still slow. Felt best at the end, but not a confidence builder. The good thing of the run: I cut it short and was able to have more time w/ Jen on her birthday.

Friday 9.11.09
PM: lifting routine
Calf still sore and Jen worked on the knot for a good fifteen minutes. Hopefully that will give me some relief. Spent some time w/ the foam roller too.

Saturday 9.12.09
AM: 20 miles in 2:27.38
First half of the run was better than the second. I did the first 8 on the treadmill due to the downpours outside. After 8, the rain curtailed and Jen needed the t'mill. I ran the next dozen outdoors. It was precipitating throughout and the last few miles it was pretty bad. It was one of those runs in which you finish cold and soaked. The middle miles were a struggle, which only made me think that my slump is still continuing. I need to shake it soon. Running in a slump does not equal a fun time. On the treadmill I got it down to sub 6:40 and that was as fast as I got. Finished up the day w/ stretch, stick, ice. Will likely repeat later today/tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment