Sunday, September 27, 2009

This Week in Running: 9.21.09 to 9.27.09

Special Notice

After taking it easy most of the week, I ran hard today and achieved a PR in the marathon. To say I'm psyched would be an understatement.

New PR
26.2 - 2:39.57
pace - 6:07

It took a wild, frantic, hamstring knotting sprint down the final straight away to get in under 2:40. I still can't believe I did it. I'm in the sub 2:40 club! My previous best was 2:44.35 at Ocean State back in 2000. Clarence DeMar is my new favorite marathon. When I have more time (hopefully tomorrow), I'll write a full race report. In short, I pr'ed and came in third overall.

I don't know if that PR would have been possible if it wasn't for my family. First to Jen for supporting me in this endeavor. Second to KJ for giving me inspiration. I have to give a special shout out to my sister, Kathy, for driving up to Keene in the rain on an early Sunday morning to encourage me and pass me gu and water all this while riding a bike and giving my parents updates on her cellphone. Moment I won't soon forget: Jen pushing KJ in the stroller and running with me and shouting good things at me. Thanks you guys!

Congrats to Justin Fyffe for winning the whole thing. He was just training through this one and ran 2:34.

Here's how the rest of the week ended up:

Friday 9.25.09
PM: lifting routine
Instead of 3 sets of everything, I did two in prep for DeMar on Sunday.

Saturday 9.26.09
AM: core and 6 miles in 44:32
Taking it easy at Adams Farm. Did some trails I don't normally do. Felt good. In the early afternoon, we headed up north to Brattleboro, VT then Keene, NH to check into our hotel and pickup the race number for tomorrow.

Sunday 9.27.09
AM: 26.2 miles in 2:39.57
Did ~.8 as a warmup so I'm calling it 27 for the day. Feeling a touch guilty for not doing a cooldown, but I did stretch, stick, ice. Still ecstatic about the PR.

Weekly Data
61 miles in 5 runs
67 minutes on the bike (outside)
5 core workouts
1 lifting routine
1 PR

2 comments:

Nuke Runner said...

Sub 2:40! Congratulations! I have fond memories of the Keene area from back when I used to live in Central Mass.

Kathy said...

Whoop whoop! Way to own that race, bro!

Post a Comment