Monday, October 26, 2009

Canton Fall Classic

First thought that came into my mind postrace: wow. Second thought: I'm in better shape than I thought (speedwise). Now, I'm not going to go crazy b/c in retrospect the time isn't that great, but it is better than I thought it would be. Saturday I posted that I wanted to run sub 17:00. Sunday I was five ticks away from sub 16:00.

5k time: 16:05 (04.68)
pace: 5:11
place: 1
mile 1: 4:59
mile 2: 5:24
mile 3.1: 5:40

Little bit of backstory: the 5k and 10k go off together and I was already feeling a little guilty for not doing the longer of the two races, so I wanted to take it out hard. I didn't think about it until about 1/10 of a mile into the race but I heard a spectator say, "Go Jason." He was referring to Jason Cakouros (sp?) of HFC. I thought to myself: "Damn. That would be pretty embarrassing if a 10k'er was ahead/near me if I'm only going 5k." I picked it up and kept the pedal down until the 5k made the right hand turn.

When the kid at the mile yelled "4:57." I actually laughed outloud. I thought that I'd be paying for that soon enough. I couldn't tell you the last time I did a sub 5:00 mile. The second mile was mostly uphill and I knew I'd be slower. I was. At about 1 3/4 the motorcycle cop that acted as lead vehicle started talking to me. He was a pretty cool guy. He kept telling me how nobody was near me. He said it in an encouraging tone but I was thinking: "Hey, are you trying to get me to slow down?"

I worked the last mile. I tried to keep pushing on the last straightaway. Pet peeve of the race (and many others) now surfaces: the third mile was not marked. For my (b)log, I wanted to see the split for the third mile. My best guess is that it was somewhere between 5:08 and 5:10. As I made the final turn and saw 15 minutes still on the clock, I was psyched. In retrospect, it's nothing to get overly giddy about b/c all the big boys were running their tails off at the Mayor's Cup.

Still, it was a good day. The sun was bright and warm. The wind whipped around just a little bit.

Harvey Blonder puts on a good show. Here are the official results.


On Monday, I did a shakeout run.
AM: core
PM: 10.25 miles in 71:23
A little sore in the calves but all else was good. Despite turning the legs over pretty good, I still felt fresh.
Harvey Blonder puts on a good show.

No comments:

Post a Comment