Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tom Joad


Just finished reading Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath. In it is Tom Joad's famous rally cry. If you haven't read the book, you've likely heard it alluded to by Bruce Springsteen or Zack Da La Rocha. All 600 + pages of the book are worth reading just for this speech:

Tom laughed uneasily, "Well, maybe like Casy says, a fella ain't got a soul of his own, but on'y a piece of one big one--an' then--"

"Then what, Tom?"

"Then it don't matter. Then I'll be all aroun' in the dark. I'll be ever'where--wherever you look. Wherever they's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever they's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. If Casy knowed, why, I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad an'--I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry an' they know supper's ready. An' when our folks eat the stuff they raise an' live in the house they build--why, I'll be there. See? God, I'm talkin like Casy. Comes of thinkin' about him so much. Seems like I can see him sometimes.
Casy, a former preacher, was murdered unjustly by a cop. I hope that speech motivates people to run fast.
Wednesday 11.4.09
AM: core
PM: 9.5 miles in 67:19
Wanted to turn the legs over today. Did 8 x 2 minutes hard w/ 44 second recovery. Why 44 seconds? B/c I'm trying not to practice # bias. The 0's and 5's get all the attention. There's nothing wrong w/ those eight other digits....Tried doing the pickups on an Aggie trail but it was just too dark. After two, I had to hit the roads and finish up on them. This is my last hard day before I race this weekend. This Sunday will be either my last or second to last race of the season. Things are winding down.
Tuesday 11.3.09
AM: core
PM: indoor bike 65 mins.
An easy recovery day.

No comments:

Post a Comment