Thursday, December 31, 2009

Cutting Shapes

To cut a shape is to run 400 meters, or one lap around the track, as fast as you can. You are suppose to go so fast that it looks like you are cutting a shape out of the landscape. Now, I wasn't going that fast but "cutting shapes" is still some cool phraseology for repeat 400's. I did 12 of them w/ an equal 400 meter recovery. This is new for me as I don't usually allow myself that much recovery between reps. This was my first track workout in a couple of months. It felt good to get back on the track even if my legs are a little cranky for it now. The weather was cold, near 20 degrees, but this was little to no wind, so I can't complain.

1- 74 5- 74 9- 74
2- 77 6- 75 10- 73
3- 75 7- 74 11- 75
4- 75 8- 74 12- 73

I did the 400's with a rolling start and didn't click the watch for splits. The above is the time elapsed between when I looked at my watch when I started the repeat and when I looked at the end. Nothing scientific; just good estimates of where I am physiologically. This was not a killer workout. I was not dead at the end of it.

Wednesday 12.30.09
AM: 12 miles in 87:09
PM: core
The repeats were bookended w/ a 4 miles warmup and a two mile cooldown. I threw in some strides for good measure.

Thursday 12.31.09
AM: 10 miles in 76:39
PM: core
Last run of the year. I woke up to snow falling and covered streets. Wasn't completely expecting that. The snow made the run slow--that and my legs were a tad grumpy from yesterday's 12 x 400. I found a golf course and did some running on that (no worries of skidding cars there) but it was a slow go. I had to improvise a loop and when I do that the run sometimes suffers. Just glad to put this one in the books.

Happy New Year! Watch out for drunk drivers.

2 comments:

mueblerunner said...

Nice workout, KG. Stay safe and I am sure we will meet up in 2010.
Happy New Year!

J.Fyffe said...

I never knew what cutting shapes meant. That is cool. I may try it someday.

Post a Comment