Sunday, January 31, 2010

This Week in Running

Another solid week of building and training. I'm in just about good enough shape to race. Good thing b/c I hope to be doing that a couple times in February.

Coldest weekend of the year. I was out the door relatively early both days and needed to wear max protect gear to stay warm. It worked relatively well. My sis was down in Miami running the half marathon. She said it was warm and humid. My heart just bled for her.

Numbers for the Week
61 3/4 miles in 6 runs
63 minutes on the bike
5 core workouts
1 lifting sequence

The details on how the week ended:

Thursday 1.28.10
AM: core
PM: 11 miles in 79:52
Reading Kevin Beck's book and it persuaded me to try some neuromuscular stuff. I did 9 x 30 seconds hard w/ 60 seconds recovery in the middle of an 11 miler. I ran the first half easy and after the pickups I ran at a solid tempo pace for the rest of the way. During the 30 second bursts I focused on form, foot strike driving and propulsion, and efficiency. They felt pretty good. The 30 seconds went by quickly. I could've done more but this is the first time I've done something like this so didn't want to push it. Just feeling it out. I know I need to do more NMT (neuromuscular training), so this was a good start...Once the sun went down and the temperature dipped the roads became real, real icy. I was skating at times and had to slow my pace down at points during the tempo. Disappointing but didn't want to take a header.

Friday 1.29.10
AM: some core
PM: lifting sequence
It took a month but the gym is no longer crowded. Back to normal. So much for those resolutions, people!

Saturday 1.30.10
AM: 17.75 miles in 2:16.38
Cold. Second half was better than the first half b/c I got warm and the wind wasn't in my face. Did about half the run on trails that were lightly covered w/ snow. This slowed the pace down. The objective here was only to get in a medium-long run.

Sunday 1.31.10
AM: core and 7.5 miles in 55:10
Cold again. About 12 degrees which is 4 warmer than yesterday, so I shouldn't complain. Easy day. No set route. I felt particularly slow in the beginning before my body acclimated to the temperature. Capped it off with a couple of strides.

No comments:

Post a Comment