Sunday, April 11, 2010

This Week in Running: 4.5 to 4.11.10

In like a lion out like a lamb: that was this week for me. Felt horrible and dead up through Thursday. On Friday things started to change for the better. I desperately wanted to Run the River this weekend but the body wasn't ready to race. Of course, in tribute, I did a ten mile trail run on Saturday but it wasn't fast. Good news was that I didn't feel absolutely dead. Managed to hang out around 7:00 pace. Certainly not fast enough to race but much better than earlier in the week. Sunday was better too and the stomach issues are fading away and the legs, dare I say, are almost, almost, peppy.

Al Bernier pointed something out to me that I hadn't considered. Maybe me iron levels are a little low. This could be part of the problem. I was talking to Jen about it and she did point out to me that we don't eat much red meat anymore. Hardly at all. We've been getting our protein through more grains and beans. I'm now cognizant of my iron or lack there of and will try to fortify via diet. If problems persist, I may try a supplement. Down in Floridy, Nono also suggested that I may be low on potassium. Another possibility. When I was hurting I was hardly eating anything and for some reason even stopped taking my daily vitamin. I guess I figured that if I wasn't running hard I didn't need the multi-v. In retrospect, a mistake. I'm back on bananas. Thanks guys for the suggestions; I'm feel better.

Weekly Numbers
37 1/2 miles in 5 runs
4 core workouts
1 lifting routine
(no bike)

Saturday 4.10.10
AM: 10.5 miles in 80:42
PM: core
Distance may have been more but I did start off slowly. Felt best at end and felt alive as opposed to dead. Energy level good rest of day.

Sunday 4.11.10
AM: 10.75 miles in 78:02
Felt good but not great. Did some pickups over the second half of the run and these made me feel better. Trying to turn it over a bit after a week of slow runs.

Friday 4.9.10
PM: lifting routine
Managed the normal cycle. Remember in January when the gym was crowded? Not anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment