Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Stowe Stache 8 Miler

The Skinny
8 mile time - 45:03
pace - 5:38
place - 35 (15 in division / 9 for CMS)
mile 1 - 5:22
mile 2 - 5:35
mile 3 - 5:43
mile 4 - 5:14
mile 5 - 5:39
mile 6 - 5:51
mile 7 - 5:53
mile 8 - 5:46
The Full Race Report
prerace
Headed up to VT on Saturday afternoon and met up with Justin, Greg, Jenn, Glenn, et al for a delicious bbq.  An excellent start to the weekend.  Soon after eating, we headed to a local watering hole to soak the legs.  We did not wait the recommended 90 minutes post-eating before jumping into the water.  What risk takers we are. After toweling off, we headed back to Justin's place to talk about running for 2-3 hours.  What could be better?


Justin, Jess, and I headed up early on Saturday and nary a car was in sight on the highway.  Got to the race early and the CMS guys quickly started comparing staches.  Here's my take:


Biker/Convict/Satan Category: Dave, Dan N, Justin
Super Trooper Category: Greg, Jim
Adult Movie Category: Bob, Dan V, Sam
Larry Bird Category: Al, me (according to MQ)


Justin and I scoped out the last mile or so of the course for a warmup and before I knew it, the start was ten minutes away.  I did a few stretches and headed to the line.
the race
The cross country box start reminded me of my high school and college days.  I got out clean and hit the mile in 5:22.  My first thought: that felt more like 5:10.  The effort felt the same as Bedford but the time was slower.  I held the same pace for the next two, coming through three at 16:40.  In my mind's eye, I was hoping for something closer to 16:00.  At this point, I knew it was going to be a long day.  The wind was already gone.


After about three miles, I could see Al Bernier and Dan Navaroli.  I started working on them but was making no progress.  I kept the same distance for another two or three miles but couldn't close the gap.  I did pass a few people but nothing significant.  Dan ended up having a great race and gapped me significantly in the last 5K.  I looked up and he was gone.  I refocused on Al and new-CMS'er Ben Jenkins.  


Halfway through the race, I knew it was going to be a long day.  I tried moving and changing gears but my legs said no.  I asked them repeatedly and every time they politely said ahhh-no.  This is when I started to hope that the mustaches ahead of me were running strong because I had nothing to give to the team on this day.  In retrospect, I realized what a diverse and deep team we have.  I can score in the top four one race and not be in the top eight the next race.  Damn.  You have to bring it to these Grand Prix events or you'll be eaten alive.  


Finally, in the closing tenths, I came up on Al.  I said, "Let's end this."  He agreed.  We pushed it in even though both of us knew this wasn't our best day.  Overall, I was content with the effort but not with the time.  I never gave up or packed it in.  I kept pushing myself and I think I will become a better runner for it.  Never give up.  Never die easy.  
postrace
Talking to some of the guys, I realized that everyone seemed to run about a minute slower than they would have hoped.  I was about on target with that.  That made me feel a twinge better.  The best part about the cooldown was the hop in the beck.  Thanks to TiVo for guiding us to a prime spot to get refreshed.  The water was so clear.  After eating a handful of blueberries, we headed over to the awards ceremony.  I hate a huge bowl of ice cream.  Two hours later, we stopped for pizza and had a great pie at the Pizza Palace.  In total, a great weekend hanging out with great people.  It's cool to be on a team with so many encouraging and supportive mates.  

1 comment:

Glenn said...

It was nice meeting you this past weekend KG. Any day now I'm going to give your core workout a go.

Post a Comment