Monday, November 8, 2010

USATF-NE XC Championships











The Skinny
10K time- 34:20
place- 67
pace- 5:31
CMS team place- 5th
place for CMS- 5th
splits- only the first 2: 5:17, 5:38


The Report
prerace
Cold.  It was 40 degrees but felt like 20.  The wind and wide open field contributed to the chill.  Got there in time to watch Greg Putnam run a great race in the master's 8K.  Met up w/ Al Bernier, Ben Strain, Scott Leslie, and Derrick Hamel for a warmup and the main objective was just that--getting warm.  
the race
These XC races start off fast.  My first mile was 5:17 and I was probably in something like 75th place.  At the mile, Al came up on me and I stuck close to him for the next half or so.  Al ran  a great race.  At around mile 2, I came up on Ben and we stuck together for a while through the Wilderness Loop.  My second mile was 5:38 but at the mile Al said that the first one was short and the second was long.  I didn't think much of it.  I just kept going.  After 2 miles, I always get confused at Franklin Park.  There are so many loops and intricacies that it's easy to forget where you are in the race.
At 5K, I was in no man's land and looking to maintain pace.  Over the last 5K, two guys passed me and I passed one back.  I wasn't feeling great.  I felt real slow in some places and couldn't move when I wanted to; I was lacking an extra gear today.  
postrace
It was fun talking to the CMS guys on the warmdown.  Scott had some good suggestions about marathon training, and since he just popped a sub 2:30, I think I'll be taking some of that advice.  Greg was good for some gummybears and Al let me know about $$ incentives that the club offers.

4 comments:

Jeff Goupil said...

Nice ran man. What are your plans for this winter? and or a fall Marathon?

KG said...

Not sure about the winter yet, but am running Philly 26.2 on 11.21. We'll see how that goes before I decide on the winter season. Keep getting in shape, man.

Glenn said...

Good Luck in Philly!

spyder ski said...

Great report...Good luck!

Post a Comment