Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ways to Improve Training

I think it's a good idea to look back on a training cycle once it ends.  When you reflect, you can notice things that  you are sometimes blind to while living in the cycle.  So, here are a few things I need to work on going forward:


1.  More hill workouts.  I don't think I did a single one this fall.  There are three major type of hill workouts that I do: a) short, steep bursts (10-20 seconds long), b) 1:30 to 2:00 repeats, and c) longer hill repeats of 2:30 to 3:00.  I should also do even longer ones, but that would require traveling to bigger hill.


2.  More NMT (neuromuscular training) workouts.  I need to do more "ins-and-outs" or "straights-and-curves."  This, for example, is when you stride hard the straight and jog the curve.  I just read that Reno Stirrat does 40 seconds on 40 seconds off once a week.  It seems to work for him.


3.  Continue doing longer runs at faster paces. 


4.  Continue doing progression and threshold runs while carefully lowering the pace.  I don't want it to be a big deal when I go sub 6:00 on a weeknight.


5.  Strengthen the calves so as to avoid spasms/strains.  Ways to strengthen: a) calf raises straight, toes turned in, toes turned out (3 sets of 20), b) jump rope (3 x 1 min), c) bosu ball balancing on one foot, d) bosu ball squats and bends, e) single foot calf raises.


6.  Start the hard weekend.  Typically, a weekend is one hard day and one easy day.  I'm thinking of shifting this do one hard day and one medium-hard day.  We'll see.


To catch up on my training logs:
11.15 to 11.21.10: 55 1/2 miles w/ marathon and 1 workout
11.22 to 11.28.10: 17 3/4 miles (all easy) w/ 60 mins on the bike

1 comment:

Kathy said...

You forgot to mention rest. You had some unplanned rest with your calf injury this summer, and you came out of it faster than ever. Ideally rest should be planned, but your body demands it from you one way or another...

Post a Comment