Sunday, September 4, 2011

This Week in Running: 8.29 to 9.4.11 (Injury)

I ran once this week.  Monday 5 miles.  After seeing a chiropractor on Wednesday, it turns out that I strained a muscle in my lower back on the right side.  It's been sore for the entire week.  For treatment, I have been doing the usual RICE routine plus some massaging with the stick and foam roller.  I incurred a similar injury to this almost three years ago to the day.  The only difference being that in 2008 the injury affected my left side.  It's a bit sore to walk right now but I seem to be able to bike without much discomfort on flat roads.  Too bad I don't enjoy biking as much as I do running.  I pretty bummed about this.  Looking back from the 2008 running log, I was sidelined about a month all in all.  I don't think this injury is as severe as in 08 so I'm hoping for a quicker recovery.  I'd still like to do CCM, but I need to get in some quality work.

Why do I think the injury happened?  I think it was a combination of two things: 1) I had been lifting a lot of heavy objects leading up to the injury (helped my sister move, moving yard stuff around before Hurricane Irene, constantly picking up the kids who aren't getting any lighter), 2) my mileage and intensity was at his highest for the year.  That amalgam stirred up together left my lower back susceptible and here I am now.  Back on the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment